Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I haven't fallen off the face of the eart...

but in order to actually achieve the certificate stating I’m a doula I have a LOT left to do. I have continued my reading, studied additional web sites, worked through plans with two other ladies with whom I began this course of study, planned what to cover in my refresher course and generally am keeping busy.

In case you are interested, this is what I like to do when I teach a refresher course.
  1. stages/phases (5-10 min. max)
  2. positions (15-20 min.)
  3. breathing (15-20 min.)
  4. birth plans (20 min.)
  5. other aids: water, temperature, light, scripture, aromatherapy, rebozo [will demonstrate so you know how this works] (10-15 min.)
  6. questions/answers (10-15 min.)

If I have more than one couple I plan for a little bit longer. If it’s just one couple, and especially if it is a couple whom I have taught before then the class usually goes smoothly and on time.

I guess technically this isn’t part of being a doula, but it will be part of my doula services… if I don’t teach the classes they won’t know I’m out here. But, to do that I MUST complete this course of studies. And, then I hope to complete my CBE certificate via another course of studies.

Well, off to rest my feet, my eyes and my brain. Good thing I have a few more weeks till I go on call. Just that much more time to brush up on presentations and some positioning techniques.

Happy Birthing!Kim

No comments: