Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Aromatherapy

Another short and sweet post.

I have been interested in aromatherapy for years for a number of reasons. Pain management for bad knees, a back that’s had some breaks, and migraines would be my top three reasons. So, to that end I purchased a book a few years back entitled “Aromatherapy for Mother & Baby,” by Allison England. (I had just started teaching Lamaze as well so figured this would be very helpful.) If any of you have helpful aromatherapy books or references please leave a comment, I would so appreciate your help!

Alas, as I am wont to do, I bought a book and put it on the shelf for a while, “a while” being about 5 years. I got it out and started to read and just got lost. It made it’s way back to the shelf and only came out again recently.

Last spring was my first go with trying aromatherapy with a laboring woman. We used a chamomile/lavender wrap that can be heated or cooled and placed wherever the muscles are stressing: head, neck, abdomen, lower back…. but, the mother I was working with found a new use. She simply kneaded it which gave her hands something to do, as well as allowing the aroma to remain soft and not overpowering.

For those interested start reading. It’s neat stuff. My favorite for myself is a peppermint/geranium oil that is rubbed on stress points with headaches: forehead, temples, neck… It is great! Plus, for me no after effect of sore stomach from aspirin or swollen ankles from the sodium in ibuprofen. I’ll write more later as we experiment with more oils/aromas.

Happy Birthing!Kim

No comments: