Sunday, January 10, 2010

Closer to Completion

Greetings All...

I just found out that my header had gone inactive. So sorry to all who might have thought the whole site was inactive. Just the header... and now it should be "fixed" or as fixed as I can manage right now.

All my births are done and reported. Books are read, just need to write the last report. Have studied much, if not most, of the physiology text. I'm not actually sure why I'm worried, except that it's been a while since I tested on physiology for my CBE certificate. (Childbirth educator... with ASPO/Lamaze)

I guess I should make a few things clear here. I have many techniques and principals at my disposal for each birthing family. I tailor what I use to suit THAT family. You will not find me forcing you to have a birth a certain way. I think in the past doulas might have gotten a bit of a bad rap as those who MADE you give birth without drugs, at home, in a certain position... you fill in the blank. While we are certainly able to work with many scenarios our goal is to support you in YOUR birthing experience. That is one of the reasons that it is so important for a doula and her clients to get to know each other before the birth. While I "could" walk into a room having never met a couple before (and I have done this) it is easier for me and helps your birth more to have spent some time together.

All this to say, as I near the completion of this process I have learned how to serve the birthing family and NOT myself. That's a good distinction, don't you think?

For those new to this site here is a brief overview of who I am:

I have four children, two of whom I gave birth to in a hospital setting. One was with an epidural (6 weeks early) and one was with no meds at all.

I have been a La Leche League leader in the past and counseled numerous nursing mothers in our hometown area.

I trained and received my ACCE certification from ASPO/Lamaze and taught childbirth classes in our community for 9 years before "retiring" for a bit when our adopted daughters arrived. I have since continued to teach within our church community or by word of mouth, although my ASPO/Lamaze certification has expired.

I have helped as a "doula" with births for over 24 years and am now seeking to finish my certification through CBI. While not "necessary" per se, it makes many people happier for me to have formal training. I can supply references from former clients and another doula in the area (I was her doula and CBE for several of her births).

Well, there it is. I'm hoping to finish by this summer, if not before. I just have to fit this in with the rest of life. Feel free to stop on by my other blog if you want to know more about me personally.

Blessings and Happy Birthing,
Kim

No comments: